As one of Kansas City's premier hotels near Arrowhead Stadium, Kauffman Stadium and the famed Power & Light district, The Fontaine promises plenty of excitement for our guests. Whether you want to catch some UMKC basketball or enjoy dinner and a movie, you will find an abundance of exciting activities all over town!
Kansas City Highlights
- St. Patrick's Day Parade - Kansas City is home for a large group of Irish-American organizations, and its St. Patrick's Day Parade is one of the largest in the nation, similar in size to the Boston and Savannah parades.
- Plaza Lighting - With a tradition that began in 1930, the annual Plaza Lighting Ceremony celebrates the Christmas season with a brilliant display of more than 80 miles of electric lights throughout the district on Thanksgiving night. The event draws thousands of guests to the Plaza, and includes local entertainment and fireworks.
- Big 12 Basketball Tournament - This exciting championship basketball tournament determines match-ups for the Big 12 Conference season. Games for the men's and women's divisions are hosted here.
- NCAA 1st and 2nd Rounds - It's March Madness! Some games of this single-elimination tournament of NCAA Division I college basketball are held in Kansas City.
Kansas City Attractions
- Country Club Plaza - Styled after the beautiful plazas of Seville, Spain, Country Club Plaza is an outdoor shopping and dining experience steeped in European elegance. With more than 150 shops and restaurants, there's something for every style and taste. And with the Fontaine conveniently located in the heart of this shopping district, it's easy to explore the area's lovely, fountain-dotted courtyards just steps away from the hotel. For a complete listing of shopping, dining and events, please visit www.countryclubplaza.com.
- Crown Center (2 miles) - This nearby commercial district offers extensive shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants. It's also the headquarters of some major companies.
- Legoland Discovery Center (2 miles) - A dream come true for kids and kids at heart! Amazing Lego creations come to life in Miniland and Duplo Village. You can learn building secrets from a Master Model Builder and find amazing Lego sets in the Discovery Center Shop. The Center also includes a 4D Cinema and birthday rooms.
- Union Station (3 miles) - This fully restored 1914 landmark was once a working train station and now features a range of shops and restaurants, a breathtaking Grand Hall with dramatic chandeliers, and museum archives. Union Station is also home to an exciting theatre district, offering films and live performances. Union Station is a Kansas City must-see.
- Power & Light District (4 miles) - The Power & Light District is a premier dining, entertainment and shopping district in the heart of downtown, with more than 50 restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment venues.
- National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial (4 miles) - A WWI museum in the famous Liberty Memorial, a memorial funded by Kansas City leaders in 1919 and dedicated by president Coolidge in front of more than 150,000 people in 1926.
- Bartle Hall Convention Center (4 miles) - This impressive center located in downtown Kansas City offers almost 400,000 square feet of open space that's perfect for major exhibitions.
- UMKC (1 mile) - The University of Missouri–Kansas City is a public research university with the main campus located in the Rockhill neighborhood east of the Country Club Plaza. It enrolls about 15,000 students and includes a wide range of academic programs, but is beloved for its college sports.
- Rockhurst (2 miles) - This private, coeducational Jesuit university was founded in 1910. It offers a range of academic programs, and several varsity athletic teams.